Eddy and I had just the night before played in his “Better Off Dying” V20 chronicle over Google, so there was less jocularity than usual since we’d had a pretty good time at the game. We hadn’t played in months since “Season One” climaxed with a war against the Sabbat in Cleveland, and it was great to see everybody again (real people and their characters as well) and to welcome in a bunch of new players. This got Eddy and I talking about how far online tabletop tools have come in just a year- certainly something Onyx Path is interested in exploring. Along the same lines, I was interested in his thoughts on Chrome vs Firefox, and whether an iPad would make a better mobile communication station for me than my iPhone (I must confess that while I hoped the phone would let me email and check stuff while on the run, it has such limitations due to size and keyboard teensiness that I think I’m being failed by that plan). Feel free to comment on either of those things if you have thoughts about why I should go with Chrome over Firefox, or whether the iPad is worth investing in so I can do things like, let’s just say, Update Kickstarters while stuck in an airport for 6 hours.
Speaking of which, our Mummy: The Curse Kickstarter wrapped up last week and I have to say, I was thrilled with the response. We really have no way of knowing how much reach we’re getting with the social media marketing we’re doing, but the response to Mummy was great. It certainly indicates there are tons more folks out there we can still get our projects out to. We got hammered a bit on just how, and how much, we released the info about what was actually in the Mummy: The Curse book itself, and while we felt like we scattered tons of info on the infrawebs, it’s true that you can’t expect folks to search all over the place. So towards that end, we’ll be putting up the Deluxe The Hunters Hunted II Kickstarter for v20 in the next couple of days, and in the main descriptive text we include a link to 99% of the text pre-edit and art/layout. Certainly, giving you all a chance to read pretty much the whole thing is something we haven’t done before on KS, so I’m interested to see how people react. Will reading the text inspire folks to opt to back the Hunters KS for the PDF, or the Deluxe copy, or will they figure they got the info they want and not chip in?
We talked a fair bit of business about the 2014 schedule and to share generalities, one of the complications for 2014 are the two sets of changes to 2013 that impact the next year. First, we have the schedule slide that occurred through 2012. Even though a lot of the projects in 2013 are holding their release date positions, the fact that some major projects fell into 2013 does create a need for cleaning up and rearranging things. Then there are the extra projects we’ve committed to creating coming out of the Kickstarters. While most of them have no hard release dates as yet and have creators assigned to them, we still need to slot them into the schedule and get folks working on solid deadlines. That being said, the projects we can add are an awesome feature of the way Kickstarter is set up and I’m really glad it allows us to add in fiction and screens and city-books that we wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise. So, to make a long story short, we’re still working on the 2014 WW Schedule to submit to CCP.
And away we go:
- God Machine Chronicle (nWoD) is in Layout and some art is being CCP Approved.
- Strix Chronicle Fiction Anthology (VtR) Strix is into Editing.
- Mummy the Curse is approved by the CCP Review Board and the index is almost done- illness over the holidays delayed things. The MtC Kickstarter is over and 10 Stretch Goals have been achieved, including a Screen, a fiction Anthology, a novel, two city books: Washington DC and Rio, a “Book of Nod” style book containing the words of the Arisen known as The Heretic, and a passel of other cool stuff. We’re waiting for the OK from Amazon Payments that every backer who can pay has, and then surveys will go out to the backers. Some people have asked, so let me repeat here: the Kickstarter is pretty much the only place to get one of these traditionally printed MtC books; we will not be taking orders or shipping these into stores outside the Kickstarter campaign, which is over. There will be Mummy: The Curse PDF versions (a single book, plus the Players, Storytellers, and SAS sections as individual files in a “virtual boxed set”) and what promise to be very nice looking physical PoD versions over at DriveThruRPG.
- Exalted 3rd Edition: Another big talk about the Deluxe EX3 Kickstarter, and if we can pull it off it should be the most amazing one yet, really integrating the Reward Tiers and Stretch Goals with the launch of the new edition. I’m working with my old friend Maria Cabardo, one of the most talented designers and art directors in the business (or any creative business actually-Google her) on integrating the Devs ideas with a bunch of brilliant artists that she works with as well as on a new Exalted logo and map. Our intention is to have some smashing new pieces ready for the EX3 Kickstarter in early February.
- V20 Hunters Hunted 2 layout is on the next round of tweaking and proofing, with most of the art in for review. We are going to try and get its Deluxe Edition Kickstarter live this week (if KS gives us the OK).
- V20 Anarchs Unbound is in post writing Development. I think Justin has been posting some things, or will soon, on the WWBlogs.
- Deluxe Werewolf 20th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter Compiling Surveys. Mike Lee is writing his novel. Working on a new proof after some adjustments from CCP. Aileen is working on the Storyteller Screen and Wallpaper. Going to reach out to most of the backers expecting classic WtA PDFs today and get them their download links from DTRPG. Putting the W20 KS Stretch Goal projects into the schedule.
-Deluxe Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition has been confirmed for September-ish 2013 and Phil Brucato has started assigning writers and has started writing his part.
- W20 Changing Breeds is also in Art Direction and Editing. We have to get backer info and photographs from the w20 Deluxe Kickstarter backers so that folks who are going to appear depicted in the art can get us in photos for reference. We had one piece of art that needed revision as a truly buff and menacing Kitsune just wasn’t right- although it looked damned scary.
- W20 Rage Across the World is in Art Direction and Editing- check out the W20 CB blog notes: http://whitewolfblogs.com/w20/
- Guildhalls of the Deathless (MtC) is being written.
- Conventionbook: Progenitors (cMtA) is off to Editing and Art Direction.
- Mage Translation Guide has begun being written.
- W20 Book of the Wyrm is being written and red-lined.
Reason for Drinking: I’ll be drinking Saturday night (and please feel free to do so where ever you are) at my “surprise” 50th BDay party. Hah! You can not surprise me! I have the wisdom of the ages <hack> <cough> <ptwoie>